Friday, January 13, 2012

Couping and saving money grocery shopping

So, Now that TLC's Extreme couponing is becoming very popular. People are realizing that it really is simple to coupon. BUT how do these people get all these coupons and how do they save so much? I have not a clue but I am starting my own way to save money during my grocery shopping trips without the use of soo many coupons.Of course, I am going to share this with you.            
Okay, so my husband has taught me so many ways to save money. While we were watching this show together he made a great point which was and i quote "why buy stuff you really don't need or use?" Yea these people get these items for free, but do they really USE them or that type of brand or do they just buy because its on a coupon...in reality we will never know. But I have some wise advice for those of you that do not extreme coupon. DO NOT BUY SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE IT HAS A COUPON!! For example, I would love to try Tide laundry detergent. I hear it cleanse clothing very well better than the most leading brands. (I am hearing this from friends and family, not from commercials) but the cost of Tide is not on my budget right now. I see coupons all the time for Tide but its never worth messing with because its always less than .50 cents. So i go to the next best thing I think works which is Purell. I have been using Purell because it works for the type of washer and dryer that we have and the maximum loads it has in the bottle. Yes, I said it. PAY ATTENTION TO THE QUANTITY the brand offers. Sometimes the more expensive brand is worth the extra pocket change because of the quantity it has. For example; I buy the most expensive paper towels and toilet paper because of the Quantity! I buy paper towels almost once a month. Yes the price can hurt but it only hurts once. lol. Toilet paper is the same way. I guess my advice is QUANTITY AND QUALITY when it comes to paper towels and toilet paper, because you're going to use it daily. PAY ATTENTION TO SALES (buy one get one, # for $, or reduced priced items) You get the picture on this. STORE BRAND ITEMS are honestly just as good and THE SAME as brand name. I am an ingredient reader when it comes to this circumstance. The only thing i don't buy store brand is medicine...just because it doesn't work for ME. That doesn't mean it wont work for you. COUNT AND CALCULATE BEFORE PLACING IN THE BASKET for example I was buying bean and cheese burritos (yumm) that were about .35 cents each. or a package of 8 for about 2.17. So i calculated .35 x 8 =2.80. Okay so i know its a couple of cents but it all counts in the end. My thoughts IT MAKES UP FOR THE EXPENSIVE PRODUCTS. This example also works for the DOUBLING UP PRODUCTS. Is it smarter to buy fabric softener with a 150 sheets that cost 3.50 or is it smarter to buy 2 boxes of fabric softener with 80 sheets that cost 1.90. hmm that is tricky because you get 10 more sheets for 30 more cents. But this is a personal choice. JOIN NON CREDIT REWARDS PROGRAMS. If they offer a rewards program that does not offer credit, take it! Don't pass it up because they send and print out coupons for you and sometimes you save automatically at the cashier!! So at the end of your very long shopping trip, you have your coupons for some of the products you picked up. You may not have 150 coupons that helps you get free groceries but if you think about how much you actually saved with this technique you really didn't need all those coupons. You can take my advice or you can continue with trying to find those coupons. But this technique really helped me get by and save so much money. Have a blessed day =)